co

This week we spoke to the fabulous make up maestro natasha khalid of Natasha Salon. From stunning bridal makeup to jaw dropping fashion shoots, Natasha is a creative genius and one of the most sought after makeup artists in town! So we decided to ask the pro her secret techniques, makeup faux pas, skin care tips and more..

-What’s your daily make up regime?
My daily makeup routine is quite straight forward and I love to stick to a classic look that looks great without too much effort as my daily schedule is super busy! I set my brows with a clear brow gel from M.A.C as they are thick and I like thick eyebrows that are not very done up and look natural. NARS sheer glow foundation or an Estee Lauder BB cream on the face, with the Bobbi Brown rose lip pencil and M.A.C La Vie en Rouge on the lips. I like bright lips with the rest of the face looking neutral, on a daily basis I avoid eye makeup. I’ll mostly dab a bit on my fingers and rub on my cheeks for a natural flush of color too, looks like your own skin as opposed to wearing blush!
-Favorite makeup brand? Please name at least one!
I have too many! Some of my faves are NARS, M.A.C, Illamasqua, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Cle de Peau…… the list is endless…….
-Must have summer product?
Sunblock for sure! This summer my pick would be La Roche Posay Anthelios .
-Skin care tips?
I am big on skin care because as a makeup artist you are as good as the foundation of your makeup and that starts with skin.  Biggest tip I give my clients is cleansing from the inside out.  A diet full of fresh green vegetables 80% and fruit the other 20% makes a world of a difference. I also recommend cutting dairy from your diet and keeping your meat intake to twice a week or less if you can. Green juices , coconut water and sweating it out. And of course on top of that a regular cleansing( make sure every spec ofmakeupis off before you sleep), toning , and moisturizing routine.
-One makeup technique everyone should know?
I am big on lashes and love how they completely transform the eye. Most women don’t curl lashes before putting on their mascara , hence every single woman should invest in a good eyelash curler, and once you hold on to the lashes with the curler make sure to pump and curl a few times so the lashes get that amazing wide eyed look, when you put on mascara after that it makes a world of a difference!
-Favorite makeup trend? What do you want to see more of this season?
I am loving really bright pop lips against a very neutral face (minimal makeup) , and as always I love skin that looks dewy and radiant.
-Makeup faux pas?
Over tweezed eyebrows, tattooed eyebrows , light foundation on dark skin and I don’t know if this qualifies but botoxed faces and lips! Faux pas for sure!
-Your secret/specific technique for makeup:
I love to use very thin layers of makeup and slowly build it to give the look I want to achieve. I love our #100wattskin which basically is my technique that from the skin, to the primers, foundations, blush, illuminators….uses all of that to create beautiful radiant , luminous skin!
-Your style icons? International and local.
Absolutely love my grandmother Noor Jehan’s elegance, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Ava Gardner……. I love old school icons as I feel they all embraced classic looks that have stood the test of time and are timeless beauties. People tend to be very trend specific nowadays. But if I had to name a few actresses as of now it would be Marion Cotillard, Cate Blanchett, Angelina Jolie, Penelope Cruz…..
-Favorite shoot so far? Why? Favorite model or client you’ve worked with?
I have too many favorite shoots, models and clients to just name one. I’m lucky to have worked with some of the best talent in Pakistan as well as coming across amazing women from all walks of life that happen to be my brides .
-Any client horror/funny stories?
I have so many stories of clients walking in with liceeee! Can you imagine in today’s day and age to deal with that. And of course we can’t entertain them at the salon as lice tends to be highly contagious! One such client kept asking and then proceeded to tell us what’s the big deal just switch on the blow drier on full force , they will just fly away…..I mean seriously hehehe….. have lots of such stories, maybe one day I ‘ll write a book!
-How does Natasha Salon stand out from the rest?
I think we have really been dedicated to our craft since the opening of the salon. Whether it’s our hair and makeup every minute detail is overlooked personally by my mom Hina, my sister Sabrina or myself.  Plus we have both very strong hair andmakeupteams, as it’s the both the things coming together that has the most impact. I think our strength lies in the distinct hair and makeup looks we introduced in the region where bridals and editorials are concerned. So we love that we get to have had found success not just as bridal hair and makeup artists but have also shown a creative flair by having a very strong fashion editorial portfolio. Best of both worlds, and we wouldn’t have it any other way!
-Any plans of expanding to Lahore or anywhere else?
There are many exciting things coming up in the future but we don’t like to talk about it till it happens. So fingers crossed! We get more calls from Lahore and Islamabad than we even do in Karachi :p so inshallah lots of amazing news soon!
-What do you enjoy more: fashion shoots or bridal/party make up? Why?
I am lucky as I said to have had success on both fronts so I enjoy both quite a lot for different reasons. Bridal makeup is more safe as brides tend to choose our most popular looks so sometimes with the makeup there is repetition but I love how I get to make clients happy and when I see them smile and get the look that they want, there is a lot of satisfaction on a personal level. Editorials make me happy because that’s where I can be as creative as I want and the model is a blank canvas. Which is why our Natasha salon shoots are never safe and we always push the envelope. Hence that’s very satisfactory as a makeup artist.
-How has the response been for your beauty Master Class? When will the next one be?
The response has been phenomenal.  We barely announced our classes and we already have our first 5 batches full! We are running about two batches a month but are now taking bookings for October.  We are going to run basic makeup classes and professionalmakeup classes , plus Sabrina will be running her hair classes alongside , so another exciting chapter in the Natasha Salon diaries!
-How is it working with your mother, Hina and sister, Sabrina? One thing you love and one thing you hate about working together?
I love working with My mom Hina and my sister Sabrina. Everyone loves to put me in the limelight as the salon is called Natasha but the success has everything to do with them. They are my backbone and the reason the salon runs the way it does everyday. My mom does each makeup with me and is a far more gifted makeup artist than I am and my sister has pretty much changed the way people do hairdos in Pakistan. I cannot function a day without them so it’s been the best team ever and the reason for our success is how well we all work together.

Post a Comment

Thanks For Your Feed Back

Previous Post Next Post